BLE + A2DP coex duplicate device names

drewandre

BLE + A2DP coex duplicate device names

Postby drewandre » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:01 pm

When using BLE and A2DP simultaneously on an iOS device, the ESP32 module appears as two separate devices in the phone's bluetooth settings. I understand these are two completely separate bluetooth protocols and that formally consolidating audio + data streaming over to bluetooth classic profiles would require a MFi license (which we have) and leveraging the Apple's iAP protocol (we also have a few MFi coprocessors). Android is no problem (as usual!) since we can use SPP + A2DP.

In the attached photo you can see both profiles - the device with the blue info icon is my A2DP connection. Though my A2DP device name is set to "Palette A2DP", when I connect to both devices, both names seem to adopt the device name I've given to my BLE profile.

I just want to triple check that it isn't possible to do this with BLE and A2DP using esp-idf? Even a hacky solution... We currently just remove the BLE connection when a user backgrounds or closes our iOS app so that the BLE connection at least disappears from the phone's settings, but it's both profiles can become visible under certain situations which is very confusing for our users.

At the very least, is it possible to separate the two names so I have "My App Audio" and "My App Data"? Definitely not ideal but better than two misleading names.

Should we consider trying the esp-homekit sdk? We're hoping that with the release of Bluetooth LE audio, espressif will adopt this protocol and these kinds of issues will be a thing of the past.

Thank you! Happy to provide code samples if needed.

drewandre

Re: BLE + A2DP coex duplicate device names

Postby drewandre » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:26 pm

Anyone have any thoughts here?