Future WROOM modules

Espagnole

Future WROOM modules

Postby Espagnole » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:07 pm

What about next versions of esp32 (chip itself) and new versions of ESP-modules?
In December there were rumors about the next version: with the antenna connector, larger number of pins, larger memory.

ESP_Angus

Re: Future WROOM modules

Postby ESP_Angus » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:46 am

The ESP-WROOM will continue to be available, with the current features and pinout (but soon with the "revision 1" silicon, see the ESP32 ECO list document for list of bugs fixed here.)

The module with additional features is ESP-WROVER, which has 4MB flash (same flash size as WROOM) but also 4MB SPI PSRAM, and an external antenna connector. This modules is not yet commercially available. It has a different pinout to ESP-WROOM.

stifler86

Postby stifler86 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:41 am

Will ESP-WROVER have bluetooth 5 (long range) support?

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:01 am

ESP_Angus wrote:The ESP-WROOM will continue to be available, with the current features and pinout (but soon with the "revision 1" silicon, see the ESP32 ECO list document for list of bugs fixed here.)

The module with additional features is ESP-WROVER, which has 4MB flash (same as WROOM) but also 4MB SPI PSRAM, and an external antenna connector. This modules is not yet commercially available. It has a different pinout to ESP-WROOM.

hi angus

does the new ESP-Wrover has 4 MB SPI PSRAM on Board or on the soldered WROOM32 Modul?

There then 2 difference WROOM32 Module's later on Market or only in combine with WROVER there is then soldered a WROOM32 with 4 MB SPI PSRAM, external antenna connector.

we can then order
- WROOM32 normal
- WROOM32 with external antenna connector and 4MB SPI PSRAM
- WROVER with WROOM32 ( with external antenna and 4 MB SPI PSRAM )

right?

sry for the expansion of question, but there are more answers possible

thank you

best wishes
rudi ;-)

btw:
do you know more about the ETH PHY Board?
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
-------------------------------------
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

madscientist_42

Postby madscientist_42 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:32 pm

You might want to look at what the 5.0 Spec actually says about Long Range support. (It should be noted that I'm not one of Espressif's people, but know ENTIRELY too much about BT stuff for my own good and health... :twisted: ) You need "Coded PHY" supported for that, and there's a price for that in reduced data rates. (You'll see about HALF the application data rate for LE or slightly worse...)

Since their IP supplier for the BT cores in the ESP32, CEVA, didn't announce 5.0 support from them being available until December 2016, it's...unlikely...that they have the right stuff in there to go with LE Long Range. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did- but I'm not holding my breath on that and I'm going to run with what they have and see if they're going to leverage their membership with the RISC-V consortium to make a RISC-V variant in about a year's time to provide even MORE awesome. (The ESP32 is pretty darned impressive as it is.)

ESP_Angus

Postby ESP_Angus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:59 am

stifler86 wrote:Will ESP-WROVER have bluetooth 5 (long range) support?
The chip on the ESP-WROVER modules is the same ESP32 (revision 1 silicon) that will be on ESP-WROOM and other modules. So no new features of this kind, unforuntately. The difference is in the features incorporated on the module outside the chip (4MB SPI PSRAM, antenna connector, extra pins.)
rudi ;-) wrote: we can then order
- WROOM32 normal
- WROOM32 with external antenna connector and 4MB SPI PSRAM
- WROVER with WROOM32 ( with external antenna and 4 MB SPI PSRAM )
Sorry for confusion, this is not the case. The only two ESP32 modules are:
- ESP-WROOM-32 (same module which is available now, although soon will have newer revision 1 ESP32 silicon.)
- ESP-WROVER (additional module pins that ESP-WROOM32 doesn't have, antenna connector, 4MB SPI PSRAM)

I believe the main reason the new ESP-WROVER module is a little bit physically larger (and has extra pins) is to make it large enough to fit the PSRAM and the antenna connector.

When I said "(same as WROOM)" in the original reply I meant to indicate that both modules have a 4MB SPI flash onboard. Will edit this to make it clearer.

There may also be some confusion over naming because there are two new similarly named things - ESP-WROVER will be a module and ESP-WROVER-KIT is a development board.
rudi ;-) wrote:do you know more about the ETH PHY Board?
Not yet, hopefully soon. I'm also keen to get hold of one of these!

Angus

madscientist_42

Postby madscientist_42 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:49 pm

ESP_Angus wrote: There may also be some confusion over naming because there are two new similarly named things - ESP-WROVER will be a module and ESP-WROVER-KIT is a development board.
Any estimates on when the WROVER modules will be available? Since there's allegedly been WROVER-KIT SKU's with WROOM modules, is that going to stay that way or will we be seeing units with the full monte showing up?