Arduino IDE for ESP32

bluebird
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:16 pm

Arduino IDE for ESP32

Postby bluebird » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:45 am

Hi,

We are very excited to run our commercial product with the mighty ESP32. We have few questions in order to quick start working on it and produce our next batches based on ESP32, for European markets.

1/ Would there be an Arduino IDE capability to easily program ESP32 (as it exists for ESP8266) and also leverage on existing Arduino libraries (such as DHT libraries for Temperature sensors)?
2/ Would it be possible to use Dual processing, to have simultaneously LED management through PWM, and another main computation running, at the same time?
3/ Can WiFi functionnality be sent into deep sleep mode when not in use, in order to save energy?
4/ WiFi encryption proposed on ESP32 are great. Hopefully, they will be easy to implement through dedicated libraries.
5/ Will there be the possibility to use either BTLE or Bluetooth standard, based on the phone capability ?
6/ What about Weave support (not Brillo, as per memory constraint) for M2M communication ?

Thank you very much for this amazing product, that will revolutionize the IoT world.

ESP32 rocks!

ESP_Sprite
Posts: 2665
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:08 am

Re: Arduino IDE for ESP32

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:20 am

I can't answer all questions, but:

1. Yes. We have plans to bring and/or help the community with bringing Arduino to the ESP32.
2. Yes; at least our own SDK will have support for using both cores. The Arduino SDK probably will eventually also support two cores.
5. The plan for this moment is to implement both BTLE as well as 'standard' bluetooth.
6. We are actively looking at implementing Weave on the ESP32. Brillo, as you've stated, is not really possible on the ESP32.

User avatar
ESP_Me-no-dev
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Re: Arduino IDE for ESP32

Postby ESP_Me-no-dev » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:23 pm

There already is Arduino support. At least for the things that have been disclosed so far. Support will be added as Espressif releases anything new (last update was committed on Dec 18, 2015).
https://github.com/me-no-dev/ESP31B

ESP_Sprite
Posts: 2665
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:08 am

Re: Arduino IDE for ESP32

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:37 pm

me-no-dev wrote:There already is Arduino support. At least for the things that have been disclosed so far. Support will be added as Espressif releases anything new (last update was committed on Dec 18, 2015).
https://github.com/me-no-dev/ESP31B
Aye. Just for clarity: I wasn't trying to sweep the excellent work you did under the rug; just saying that Espressif actually is aware of the Arduino environment and we're taking active steps to help on that environment, although they may not be outwardly visible at this moment. We need to get the ESP32 and the 'native' SDK off the ground first :)

WiFive
Posts: 2378
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:35 am

Re: Arduino IDE for ESP32

Postby WiFive » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:24 am

Sprite_tm wrote: 5. The plan for this moment is to implement both BTLE as well as 'standard' bluetooth.
Hmm sounds like still lots of work to do. Please don't buy some restrictive license stack. We need full open source at least above hci layer.

User avatar
ESP_Me-no-dev
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Re: Arduino IDE for ESP32

Postby ESP_Me-no-dev » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:34 pm

Sprite_tm wrote: Aye. Just for clarity: I wasn't trying to sweep the excellent work you did under the rug; just saying that Espressif actually is aware of the Arduino environment and we're taking active steps to help on that environment, although they may not be outwardly visible at this moment. We need to get the ESP32 and the 'native' SDK off the ground first :)
This is good to hear :) I'm really looking forward to an updated SDK and mostly the new hardware :) Many people are also hoping for RTOS update for the ESP8266 as well :) we would really like to move both platforms to RTOS

bluebird
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Arduino IDE for ESP32

Postby bluebird » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:21 pm

Looking forward improved "SDK" on new RTOS to take full advantage of the chip. Looking forward to have one and validate for next batch of our commercial product.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tutu10, urbanze and 22 guests