Easy way for client to update code?

Philbot

Easy way for client to update code?

Postby Philbot » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:39 pm

Hi

I'm doing ESP32 development using ESP32-IDF and Eclipse.
Now that I've got it working, I really like this development model.

I'm developing a new product for a client who going to be testing the product on their equipment before I go into full production.
I'm obviously going to be making changes to the code as testing proceeds, and I'm looking for a way to be able to send them an update they they can easily install into their prototype units.

I know that over the air updates are possible, but I'm not up to speed on that yet.

I will admit to not really knowing what IDF and eclipse are doing to flash the ESP32, when I click download... and I know there is no way I can get them to setup a full dev environment.

I'm looking for a simple tool that they can load onto a PC and just use to download the image I send them into their unit via USB.
It could be a download tool, or it could be something like the Arduino IDE, but I really just want to ship them a binary file.

Any suggestions for a no-configuration download tool?

Phil.

Philbot

Re: Easy way for client to update code?

Postby Philbot » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:16 pm

A follow up to my own question about a simple FLASH tool for the ESP32.

I've located the stand-alone FLASH downloader tool, but frankly, the number of options on the User Interface makes it virtually impossible for me to use.

The Eclipse-IDF environment hides most of those settings, so I don't even know where to start.
CPU frequency, Interface type... three different files, key addresses....

You need to be a serious developer to have a clue how to use this.

Once again... How can I take what I have from my Eclipse-IDF build (which just gets automatically dumped into flash) and turn it into something that I can send to my client and have then burn into flash on their prototype device (that uses a standard ESP32 DEVKIT1V)

Can I dump the flash from my prototype and easily burn it into another device without losing stuff like the hardware MAC address etc.

How a mass production runs normally performed?

Anyone ????

tawalke

Re: Easy way for client to update code?

Postby tawalke » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:03 am

Have you already looked at the esptool? Will this work for your needs or is it still too much? https://github.com/espressif/esptool
You could send the bin files to them and then execute the esptool on the command line with parameters to flash the board.