Related Documention

a2retro
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:09 am

Related Documention

Postby a2retro » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:39 pm

In the esp32 datasheet dated June2016 section 7.1 there are links to related documents. The first link (user guide) works but the other 2 do not. Is that because those links are incorrect or those documents are just not published yet?

ESP_Sprite
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:08 am

Re: Related Documention

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:55 am

The documents you mention can be found at https://espressif.com/en/products/hardw ... /resources . Be advised that these are mostly ESP31 (the beta silicon) specific for now and will change once we're done with the ESP32 SDK.

WiFive
Posts: 977
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:35 am

Re: Related Documention

Postby WiFive » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:54 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:once we're done with the ESP32 SDK.


I get nervous whenever you say that like it is in the non-immediate future. :shock:

Obviously you want to build/test against actual hardware first, which should be in your hands now or in a few days? Any hint as to a target date for the first public ngsdk?

ESP_Sprite
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:08 am

Re: Related Documention

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:21 am

WiFive wrote:
ESP_Sprite wrote:once we're done with the ESP32 SDK.


I get nervous whenever you say that like it is in the non-immediate future. :shock:


Understandable. No worries, we have the base stuff working and solid (SMP FreeRTOS, build system, bootloader, ...), we just want the first release to be as polished and free of cruft that will drag us down later as possible. That is a fair amount of work, but if we run out of time, we're pretty much free to change our priorities slightly and release a usable SDK that will be expanded to where we actually want it to be somewhat later.

As an indication what we're talking about: for example, the first release will possibly be missing FPU support because gcc has a bug or two in it plus the way FreeRTOS handles it isn't compatible with SMP. If we have time before the first release, we will fix this, but if not it will be an issue for a next release. (Or maybe a thing for the community to look at if they want it earlier: both FreeRTOS as well as gcc is open-source and we're open to pull requests.)

Obviously you want to build/test against actual hardware first, which should be in your hands now or in a few days? Any hint as to a target date for the first public ngsdk?


I think the first silicon will arrive somewhere this week; we need to throughly test it before we can even use it internally (because we need to know 100% sure the analog bits work as intended) and even more before giving the OK for sales. We assume it'll take some time before the chips are in your hands anyway, so the public release of the new SDK is planned somewhere around the end of August.

WiFive
Posts: 977
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:35 am

Re: Related Documention

Postby WiFive » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:04 am

ESP_Sprite wrote:I think the first silicon will arrive somewhere this week; we need to throughly test it before we can even use it internally (because we need to know 100% sure the analog bits work as intended) and even more before giving the OK for sales. We assume it'll take some time before the chips are in your hands anyway, so the public release of the new SDK is planned somewhere around the end of August.


Thanks. Hope hardware verification is OK and you can pull the trigger on MP asap. Look forward to the new SDK. Dont mind if it gets released in stages, because hopefully it is more modular anyway, more compile time options to optimize memory footprint. For example apps that use WiFi only or Bluetooth only or neither (it's possible :o ).

Singe12
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:26 am

Re: Related Documention

Postby Singe12 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:56 am

ESP_Sprite wrote:As an indication what we're talking about: for example, the first release will possibly be missing FPU support

This remember me to ask: there is hard FPU or soft FPU?

User avatar
rudi ;-)
Posts: 1043
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Related Documention

Postby rudi ;-) » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:05 am

Singe12 wrote:
ESP_Sprite wrote:As an indication what we're talking about: for example, the first release will possibly be missing FPU support

This remember me to ask: there is hard FPU or soft FPU?

:arrow: 1++
good and interessting question, i do not know sure this too, so i push this question

remeber me in the past, we can enable soft floating point in GCC example with -msoft-float.
May want to recompile the libc to use hardware floating point ...so i have to ask: :P

will the "toolchain for ESP31b" Repo on Github then re newed with a new "toolchain for the ESP32 Release" `? have we later a new :idea: toolchain for the ESP Release end of august? have we perhabs 2 toolchains on github then, one for ESP31b and one for the ESP32 release?

best wishes
rudi ;-)



:mrgreen:
[ :!: beta's :!: ]
I am anxious.
and a little nervous
and somewhat paranoid:
save your works on backup servers and save your esp31b toolchain that you can allways recompile the toolchain for other pc / machine on any time. if we get an update on toolchain, perhabs we can not reinstall the esp31b toolchain for compile it again ?!
[\ :!: beta's :!: ]
:mrgreen:
note:
We enjoy our summer holidays 29th july to 11th september and recharge our batteries
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
-------------------------------------
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

ESP_Sprite
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:08 am

Re: Related Documention

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:42 am

We have a hard-fpu, but because of architecture issues, it is single-precision only. I *think* in theory you should be able to compile ESP32 stuff with the ESP31 toolchain, but I would advise against it because some processor registers moved around and I am not sure if the compiler uses these. If any, the ESP31 has no floating point unit at all. We'd advise to just backup the ESP31 stuff somewhere, in case you will ever need it, and start over with a new ESP32 compiler and SDK once they're released.

User avatar
rudi ;-)
Posts: 1043
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Related Documention

Postby rudi ;-) » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:23 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:We have a hard-fpu, but because of architecture issues, it is single-precision only. I *think* in theory you should be able to compile ESP32 stuff with the ESP31 toolchain, but I would advise against it because some processor registers moved around and I am not sure if the compiler uses these. If any, the ESP31 has no floating point unit at all. We'd advise to just backup the ESP31 stuff somewhere, in case you will ever need it, and start over with a new ESP32 compiler and SDK once they're released.


txs, btw this cleared other think on this now too and now is a bit clearer.

best wishes
rudi ;-)
note:
We enjoy our summer holidays 29th july to 11th september and recharge our batteries
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
-------------------------------------
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], loboris and 12 guests